- This delicious twist on grilled cheese went over great in my house. My youngest is a picky eater so any time I find a recipe that I can vary for each member easily I put it in the "keeper" pile. They can be a little messy, and I don't recommend cutting them in half, but over all a yummy summer meal!
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese of your choice
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tomato slices, 2 tablespoons onion mixture, and 1 1/2 bacon slices. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese; top with the remaining 4 bread slices.
- 3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.
Jennifer Martinkus, Cooking Light